When Circumstances Change After A Court Order Is Issued, We Can Help

We all know that life can change unexpectedly. You could be laid off, suffer an unexpected illness or disability, or experience another event that impacts your income. While these changes are difficult for anyone, it’s especially hard when you have children to support.

When you are facing financial hardship, it may be possible to petition for a Texas child support modification. For accurate, timely, and compassionate counsel on this or other potential modifications of family law orders, consult Branch Law Firm. We are here for you.

Will A Family Law Judge Say Yes?

The court may consider child support modification requests when you can prove a significant change in your circumstances, such as:

  • Unemployment
  • Reduced working hours (directed by the employer)
  • Business downturn for reasons out of your control
  • Poor health due to illness or injury

Conversely, if you receive a promotion and raise or your former spouse encounters a financial setback, they can petition for a child support modification that increases the monthly support due. In this instance, the goal is to allow your children to benefit from your increased income or prevent them from being impacted economically by the custodial parent’s financial difficulties.

Changes in your child’s life can also support a request for a modification. As they grow, they may require additional support to meet their needs for food, clothing and education. If the child is diagnosed with special needs, the custodial parent may petition for additional support to cover the cost of therapy, special tutors or classes, and more.

Contact A San Antonio Attorney To Discuss A Potential Post Judgment Modification

When your monthly child support payments need to increase or decrease, always seek a modification through the courts. On the other side of the coin, if your child’s other parent is seeking more support and paying more would be a hardship for you, discuss your situation with a lawyer. For best results on either side of the equation, work with an experienced attorney to protect your interests. Many people make the mistake of creating a verbal agreement with their ex only to encounter difficulties when the latter reneges, leaving them with no legal standing to enforce a higher or lower payment.

Branch Law Firm can answer your questions regarding Texas child support modifications or any family law matter. To speak with a skilled, compassionate lawyer, call (210) 229-2088 or contact us by email.